Our Church

Church Music

Music is an important and uplifting part of our worship. It is led each week by an RSCM affiliated robed choir with an experienced organist/pianist and a choirmaster (left) who is a member of the Betley Ministry Team. Hymns and songs are wide ranging...

Church Schedule

Items in purple are our regular services, red items are special services, yellow items are our fellowship group meetings. Special Services Our year sees many special services, including some held outside the church e.g. in the fields...

Our Services

We have varying styles of service at St. Margaret's Church in an attempt to meet everyone's needs. We have fellowship with refreshments after all morning services. Earlybirds Earlybirds is what we call our outreach to our younger visitors....

Services at Both Churches

Services held at St Margaret's, Betley. Services held at All Saints', Madeley. Want to add these events to your calendar? The iCal links for both churches are: St Margaret's, Betley : www.saintmargarets.co.uk/feed/eo-events/   All...

The Building's History

Download the St Margaret's Church History booklet St. Margaret's Church is a Grade One listed building and has borne witness to a Christian presence in the village for over 700 years. Its exterior and interior have been much influenced...

Bequest Boards

  Bequest boards hang on the walls of the church, usually in the nave. They list gifts of money made to local charities. Bequest boards also give an idea of the changing worth of money over time. (text courtesy of Heritage Inspired...

Charity Boards

In the 16th and 17th century the church received a number of benefactions, details of which can be seen on the charity boards at the west end of the nave. Bequests were made for the instruction of poor children, apprenticeships and relief. By today’s s...

Memorial Tablets

Memorial tablets From the mid-16th century, many monuments were secured to the wall and were called ‘hanging wall monuments’. Modest versions of these are referred to as ‘wall tablets’ or ‘memorial tablets’.  They are stone panels in a variet...

Millennium Tapestry

Situated on the west wall above the Vestry door. It was researched and designed by Mrs. Thelma Peake and produced by St. Margaret’s Tapestry Group. It was inspired by the hymn ‘It came upon the midnight clear’  using the lines: “Beneath the ang...

Pevsner' Description

Parish church. Core of circa 1500 with C17 and C18 additions, heavily restored and partially rebuilt in 1842 by Scott and Moffat. Sandstone ashlar encapsulating a timber-framed core; plain tile roof with shaped tile bands and stone coped verge. West...

The Egerton Memorial

On the left hand wall, in the chancel, by the high altar is the Egerton Memorial. It's an impressive wall monument to Ralph and his wife Frances. Behind Frances kneels a daughter, behind Ralph originally knelt a son. The figure was stolen about...

The Font

St Margaret's actually contains two fonts, one by the entrance, and a movable one stored up by the main altar. The History of the Font Every medieval church contained a font. It was close to the main entrance of the church in an area known...

The Organ

  The organ was installed around 1840 when a major restoration of the church took place. It is a splendid Victorian instrument which was rebuilt and enlarged in 1969 and had a major renovation again in 1996...

The Thicknesse Chapel

The Thicknesse Chapel in the north aisle is surrounded by a screen which dates from the 14th  or 15th  centuries and is also of Spanish Chestnut. This chapel was originally in Balterley Hall, the seat of the Thicknesse family who were...

The Church Bells

We have a regular and enthusiastic team of Sunday Service ringers, led by Captain Robert Bailey. At present, we have 12 ringers, but we would love to have more. Method ringing, which is what we do, is often described as the English Discipline. It...

The History of the Reading Room

The Reading Room was built in the early 1800's and was registered as a National School for the village. Previously the children had been taught by the minister in the Vicarage but when his house needed urgent repair it was decided a new schoolroom should...