||Died 21st February 1943. Age 24
- John was born in 1918 at his grandparents’ house in Halmerend, as a descendant of a family with Betley associations since the 16th
- He had a younger sister Marie.
- He married Margery Cowell (17) when he was 20 and from 1940 lived at Bow End House, Betley.
- They had two children.
Employment and Interests
- Accountant’s Assistant, an amateur radio enthusiast and a keen flyer.
- He enlisted in December 1939 as an Aircrafthand/Wireless Operator Class 2 at Cardington.
- He progressed through the grades and into training as a pilot, with an Emergency Commission in RAF Volunteer Reserve in February 1942.
- He saw active flying service over the Channel and was posted to Malta at Christmas 1942.
- Acting as Navigator he made many sorties in the North African theatre until he was lost in February 1943 at the climax of the Battle of Tunis.
- His body was never recovered but he is honoured on the Malta Memorial.